Monday, September 9, 2013

eyes

Had my eyes checked today.
It was my first time.
No good excuse.  Just never have gone in.

We walked into the building and to the nearest elevator.  A gentleman waited with Dale and I.  Funny how we are creatures of habit and walk into the elevator, turn, and face the doors. No talking, just looking at the doors in front of us, as if staring at them is going to make them open faster.  Kind of like waiting for water to boil.
Relieved, the doors open.  The gentleman states, "After you," to me.  Chivalry is still alive!

Entering the office, we are greeted by the front desk lady..."patient administrator."  I guess that sounds more professional than my label.
After giving insurance info and filling out forms, it was time for the visit.
Following the nurse into the exam room, questions were answered and the room went dim.
I was asked to read the line that i could most identify.  My perfection ways went into high gear and i was determined to read the most teensy line.
"Did i get it?"
"You did good," was her reply.
She proceeds to tell me that my eyes are going to be dilated for a few hours.
"What does that mean," was my query.

"The lights will be extra bright and going outside will be a challenge for your eyes," she stated.

"So, why is it that i am doing this?" i curiously asked.
"The dr needs to look in your eyes."
"Oh"
She then tells me, "I have to put these drops in your eyes now."
"What drops?" "and will it hurt my eyes?" I was getting panicked.

Made me think of patients in our office and their look of terror  when told they have decay on their tooth.
Teeth are one thing, but wow, these are my eyes.  I only have 2.  We have 32 teeth...28 if wisdom teeth are gone.
2 eyes.  These wonderfully made organs help me see. SEE.  That wonderful sense to gaze into my husband's eyes, and behold my children's faces, and spot eagles soaring in the skies, and be a leaf peeper in this brilliant, autumn season with the colors ablaze.

Whether i liked it or not, the drops were going in.    "Keep blinking, the sting will go away faster." I blinked as fast as a bird flaps its wings.
Soon the brightness intensified.  I had to wear sunglasses inside.  The dr soon entered.  I could barely see his face.
He ran some tests, and told me my vision was excellent...Really?  Not by side of things!
He did tell me that readers were in my future...the future is now buddy!  "I already have them."  I told him.

The miracle of sight.  I get to read and behold this great creation.  May i never again take that for granted.    

No comments:

Post a Comment