Thursday, May 2, 2019

Don't worry

A recent conversation with my daughter.

"Hi mom. It's Kayla."
(Like I wouldn't recognize her voice-wink wink!)

"Hi baby girl-
(she interrupts immediately!)

Kayla: "I thought you would want to know I'm in the ER, but don't worry."

Me: On the other end of the line FREAKING OUT! "Wait, what? Did you just say you're in the ER? Where?"

The "don't worry" part is what got me. Really? Are you kidding me? My kid is in the ER and she proceeds to say, "Don't worry." 

Who says that? I guess she did! Sheesh! I'm her mother for Pete's sake. Of course I'm going to worry. Panic would be more accurate.  Like freak out, get in the car right now and speed to hospital, kind of freak out. Yeah, that.

Kayla isn't a kid anymore. She's a 29 year old, married grown woman. SIGH.
My son in law is perfectly capable (and wonderful I might add) of taking care of Kayla. And that's exactly what he did. He brought her to hospital and stayed by her side the entire time.

So, what's wrong with her, you might be asking?

It would seems a pear shaped organ that receives and stores bile, plus digests fats, decided to make my daughter completely miserable. There was nausea, pain, diarrhea and vomiting involved. Sounds fun, huh? Oh and a one inch gallstone for added excitement.

Yep. Her gallbladder has been a pain in her side for far too long and gave it one last go. The pain was excruciating. And she can handle a lot of pain.
I reminded her of the time she fell while rollerblading a long while ago. She didn't scream in pain and seemed okay. Only one time that particular evening did she tell me it hurt "a little bit." We iced it and I told her that we would see how it was in the morning.

Well, morning came. Again, she wasn't yelping or even crying, but hubby decided to take her in to the clinic. She came home with a cast on her hand.
Worst mother ever moment. Like epic fail. I still feel bad about that and it's been at least fifteen years ago. Ugh.

Anyway-Did you know per googling the internet, "the gallbladder is not absolutely necessary for human survival..."

Who knew?!

Kayla is resting at home now. It hasn't been easy, but she's on her way to a full recovery.
According to her, I'm "the best mom ever." 

I brought food!



  





No comments:

Post a Comment