Thursday, March 27, 2014

Personal Character

It doesn't look like it outside, but I see growth. 
Spring is taking its own sweet time to appear. 
As I sip my English breakfast tea, I am meditating on some powerful words this morning. 

Oswald Chambers is the author.  My Utmost for His Highest:  the name of the devotional. 
 
I first picked up the book simply due to the name.  Oswald was the first name of my paternal grandfather.   
Oswald Chambers, like CS Lewis, grew in influence most certainly after his death.  Oswald died very young.  43.  From a ruptured appendix. 
He leaves a legacy of truth in his writings. 

"An elevated mood can only come out of an elevated habit of personal character...."

"The golden rule in temptation is--go higher.  When you get higher up, you face other temptations and characteristics."

"Compare this week in your spiritual history with the same week last year and see how God has called you up higher."

"Growth in grace is measured not by the fact that you have not gone back, but that you have an insight into where you are spiritually; you have heard God say "Come up higher," not to you personally, but to the insight of your character."

Sometimes I have to just quote authors.  I can't write it better.
I want to see growth in my life.  I want to look back from yesterday and see that I have sprouted.  Even if it is just a millimeter. 
As I look back on my journal, I indeed, am seeing growth.  Millimeters--yes.  But I am moving forward. 
Character.  You can't buy it.  It is who you are.  You are the only one who can work on it. 
At the end of my life I want to be in full bloom and hear Him say, "Well done."

 

2 comments:

  1. Those of us on your outside can see it happening. You are most definitely growing, in numerous and many ways. I can't wait to see who you are becoming! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good example to follow....name starts with the letter Y.

    ReplyDelete