Thursday, November 14, 2013

Care Packages

Recently I was asked if I have ever sent a package to my college age kids.   Hmmmm.  Do I just say "yes," or do I admit that I have sent more than I can even count?!  In fact, between the USPS and the UPS store, I'd say easily I could be walking around with a designer purse.  Or, maybe  a few outfits from Mall of America with how much I pay to send my babes love from home! 

"I've sent a few," I reply.  And then hope they don't ask, "What's a few?" 
 
"So, once a quarter, once a year, how many have you sent?"

"Well, I can't give an exact number, but on average for sure every two weeks," I respond. 

I must admit, I love the reactions!  "Are you kidding?" "That must cost a fortune."
My favorite..."Do they like it?"

"Do they like it?"  Getting a whole almond cake to themselves baked fresh, just for them, a few days before.
A handwritten note in their mother's handwriting, and not an email.
Chocolate chip cookies wrapped individually.  The chips are more like chunks!
Gift cards to Starbucks and Buffalo Wild Wings
MONEY
Funky Chunky pretzels
Books

Oh, I have no doubt...they love it.  Especially right around exam time.  I love it when they call and say, "I got your package."      It was especially wonderful when our son was away for the summer and was out of cellphone reach, and would call on the satellite phone sparingly.  The first words out of his mouth, "Hi mom I got your package."

PRICELESS FOR ME:   When they do return home, finding the letters I have written.    Opened and kept. 


What about you?  Do you send packages?  What do you put in them? 
Did you ever get any while you were away?


2 comments:

  1. This is so important--I can't emphasize it enough. You are investing and accomplishing so much through these "love delivered" actions, not only wonderfully building up their lives, but they will pass it on to their children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Delores. I just sent a package this morning. Pumpkin bread in a jar!
      I sure do admire you and cherish your wise words.
      Blessings to you today.

      Delete