Monday, June 15, 2015

A history

Admittedly, the only English thing about this blog post is the scarf I'm wearing in the below photo.
You have to admit though, it's a pretty cool scarf!
London is plastered all over it.  Union Jack, Big Ben, Tower Bridge.  My dear friend Yvonne found it.  Said, "it screamed your name so I had to buy it."   I'm so lucky.

So, about this post.  

I have this friend.  My forever friend.  We have  history.

Meet Alicia.

This weekend I went to see her for her daughter's high school graduation party.  It had been awhile since we have seen each other in person, so when we made eye contact, we went a little crazy.
Jumping up and down, shouting each others names, hugging.  That kind of crazy.  A guest spilled his drink he was so frazzled with the commotion!  
 
Yep.  She's that kind of friend.
We've known each other since 5th grade.
No secrets
In each other's wedding.
Of the two of us, she's the stronger one.  Hands down.  She amazes me.
There's that saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Yeah, that's her.

Life has been exceptionally cruel to her in the past.  It reads like something only a movie could make up.

Here's the short version:

A brother was killed while riding his bicycle around the time I first met her .

While we were juniors in high school, her dad and another brother were killed in a freak accident. An accident that could have easily taken her life too.

THEN, while she was in college, a drunk driver took her first love.

Alas, tis true.  

Thankfully, that's not the end of her story.
She knows pain, but she knows how to live.
She is  peaceful.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, rattles her.
She has Joe.   He completes her.
4 lovely daughters.  Randi, Alex, Sam, and Toni.  I love their names.  
Lives on a beautiful lake.   YAY!!!  If there is such a thing as someone "deserving" to live well, I am thrilled life gave it to her.
I watched her with her guests this weekend.   She ran around, hugging everyone who came,  and listened to what was going on in their lives.  
She is REAL.

Watching her, I thought of all the things we did as kids.   I spent lots of weekends at her house.  We would put green masks on our faces and wear it until it was concrete.  We scrubbed like mad trying to get those masks  off!
We watched Footloose every time we had sleep overs.
Stayed up late, and slept in until noon.

I'm the blessed one to have her in my world.  She is a great example of perseverance.

We vowed this weekend to make sure and see each other much more.
What I think I love the most about us is that we just pick up where we left off.  Like we never missed a beat.  We just know each other so well.  It's an easy friendship.  One with much history and a forever future.

I hope you have a friendship in your life like ours.  It's a priceless gift.  



 




 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment