Monday, June 29, 2015

Keep learning

Years ago now, I had the privilege of walking into Holy Trinity Church.  This is the church in Headington Quarry, Oxford, England where  CS Lewis worshiped.
Moving through the doors,  knowing that at one time he sat in these pews gave me goosebumps.
To me, the man was a literary genius.  He was a Fellow at Oxford University and  wrote some of the best books of all time, including The Chronicles of Narnia.
 This is a picture of one of the windows in the church.   I have read many of his books, and thought I knew most things about him.  Not so.

I found this book in an old bookstore recently.
It's true.  The Magic Never Ends.  I never get tired of learning about this author.

Some facts I already knew.   His name is Clive Staples Lewis, but went by the nickname Jack.  His childhood home was called Little Lea, his mother died when he was 9, and he died November 22,1963, the same day President John F Kennedy was killed.

I am learning so much more.
For instance, I did not know he had a dog named Mr. Papworth.  It has a certain ring to it don't you think?

He wrote 38 books and all of them-all 38-have NEVER been out of print.

He didn't drive.

RARELY wore a watch.

From the age of 18, Oxford was his home.

"He often rejoiced when he was on a train and he could talk to an ordinary man about literature because, he thought, when you're talking to an ordinary man about Jane Austen, this man really liked her books."  ---Walter Hooper.

"Lewis was not known to enjoy certain social gatherings and preferred, when possible, to be at home writing."

He walked a lot.  Especially along a footpath called Addison's Walk in Oxford, and the rolling hills of the Cotswolds.
I love to walk, and I LOVE the Cotswolds!

He wrote The Silver Chair in a couple of months.

He was on the cover of TIME magazine September 1947.

He smoked...GASP!!!

He wrote because he simply enjoyed it.

I have not finished reading this book.  Too busy underlining all the new things I am learning!

All I know for sure is that this man was a gifted writer with an incredible imagination.  His nonfiction work is among the best books I have ever read.  Mere Christianity remains among my favorites.

Do you have a favorite author?










No comments:

Post a Comment