Thursday, June 4, 2015

Generation gap

According to Wikipedia, generation gap is defined:  the difference of opinion on music, values, politics, etc., that occurs between one generation and another, usually between younger people and their parents and/or grandparents.

Enter the cell phone.
   This device connects me to my family through texts and calling.  I wish I didn't have to use it.  I much prefer a pencil and paper.  (photo below to help those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about!)

That yellow apparatus ..a pencil...is so easy to use.  Just gently press on the white paper, moving your hand ever so slightly across the document, forming images (usually words forming sentences).  That pink contraption  on the end of the pencil...say it...PENCIL...is called an eraser.  Simply rub it across any image you wish to delete and poof...gone!   One can actually write a "text," seal it in an envelope, and put it in a mailbox, landing in another  mailbox  a few days later like magic.    Imagine opening your mailbox (please tell me you know what that is) and a letter magically appears.

With all this technology,  letter writing really still exists, but that is for another post.

Funny story.
I admit, I do not really know very much about my techy phone.  I have had my children show me how to text and am able to answer it when it chimes.
I readily admit, until last Saturday, there were a few things I had no idea what to do.

Did you know there is a "brightness" dimmer on  your phone?  My husband and I were driving, and I noticed that my phone was really hard to read.  I know I need glasses nowadays, but it was exceptionally hard to see anything on my phone.   My husband even wondered what was wrong with it.  
We stopped in to the nearest cell phone store and thought maybe we would be buying a new phone.

We walked in, greeted by some 20 something dude.    "Afternoon guys.What's up?"

"My phone is dark?  I think something is wrong with it."

Seriously, within seconds, this dude figured out what was wrong with my phone.
I am quite sure he wanted to say, "You're an idiot!"
But, he was polite!  Whew!

"So, there's this dimmer on your phone.  Somehow you must have lessened the brightness on it.  Here is how to fix it."
Then he noticed that something was up with my voicemail.  He pushed a few buttons and I know he tried not to laugh as he said, "Ummm...you have a lot of voicemails on here.  Like, a lot!  Have you ever checked your voicemail?"

You can imagine the look I gave him because he said, "I'm guessing you don't know how to use your voicemail right?"

So, for all of you that have left me a voicemail...I finally got it!  He made it easy for me now.  All I have to do is push a button and voila...message received!

"There's an app for that!"

I don't want to know what that group of kids said when we exited the store!!

So...do you prefer texting or pencil and paper?




No comments:

Post a Comment