Monday, November 17, 2014

Grief

My friend Chris just let us know that her mom is nearing the end of her earthly life.

"Pray for mom's peaceful passing.  She's ready."

When grief arrives for someone that I know, I like to give the book written by CS Lewis.  A Grief Observed.   This wise author from England knew grief...losing his mother at a tender, young age.  He saw death in the war.  He married Joy Davidman later in life, only to lose her about 3 years after he married her.

He writes..."No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.  I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid...at other times it feels like being mildly drunk, or concussed.  There is a sort of invisible blanket between the world and me.  I find it hard to take in what anyone says."
CS Lewis died in 1963.  The same day President JFKennedy was assassinated.  He left a legacy of literature for future generations to imagine and dream.   I know that his book on grief has helped, and will continue to bring comfort to all those who are in the midst of this life's greatest emotion.  GRIEF.

Have you read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment