Thursday, June 18, 2015

Basal

No, I didn't misspell the word.
It's basal, not basil.
One vowel changes the whole word.

B A S I L=an herb.  A yummy herb, but still, an herb.

B A S A L.  Now there is a word.  A bad word.  As in Basal Cell Carcinoma.  The most common form of skin cancer.

A few weeks ago, I would have skimmed past the word.  Sadly, it truly meant nothing to me.

Not anymore.  I saw something "weird" on my husband's back.  I told him he needed to go to the dermatologist and get it checked out.

Long story short.  He went.  What I thought looked suspicious was actually nothing.  BUT, the big BUT.  The doctor found many other spots that were more than just suspicious.   They were the real deal.   Skin cancer.

Fast forward to this week.
The doctor took 3 of 11 spots.  Started on his back.  I was going to show you the wound, but quite frankly, its ugly.  Really ugly.  There are stitches that look like railroad ties, redness, blisters, and it is quite swollen.  He is sore and in a lot of pain.
      The bandages tell the story.  
My point with this post... go and get checked out.

We are grateful it was "only" Basal Cell.  It is going to be a bit of a bumpy road for a bit, but it is curable.
My advice:  Stay out of the sun as best you can,  and use lots and lots of sunscreen.  Wear a hat.  It's summer.  Hats are stylin'
In short...COVER UP!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment