Thursday, July 14, 2016

TJ


As I made my way across the parking lot last Sunday afternoon, the only sounds I heard were the crunch of pebbles beneath my shoes and the faint whisper of one voice to another confirming they brought enough Kleenex.

This was a day I hoped would never come.

One by one we filed into the church. Someone handed me a small leaflet.  I found a spot in a pew towards the back.  I glanced at the program in my lap and then it hit me. He really did die.
TJ was a distant relative of my husband. I remember meeting him years ago at a family reunion. He had a bigger than life smile.

In May of 2010, I heard he was diagnosed with cancer. I know there is some technical term for the type he had, but it was a form of leukemia.  I'm not sure what possessed me, but I felt  I needed to go and see him. I went to Regions hospital and found my way to the oncology department. I didn't spend a lot of time with him, but basically I just told him I would be praying. I meant it.

Ironically, just weeks later I was back at that same hospital.  My mother- in- law was sick. We weren't quite sure yet what we were dealing with, but it didn't take me long to figure out I was on the same floor I had been on while visiting TJ. The oncology floor. I knew right then my mother- in- law had cancer. We buried her three weeks later.

I followed TJ's story from the get go. He was a great communicator through writing. I liked that. He had a Caring Bridge site and wrote the most amazing posts.

"Making a journal entry on your own caring bridge site has been very difficult for me as it is something you never plan on doing. ...spend some time with your loved ones, and just smile..."

He also wrote a book!
It is raw and real. I'm so glad I have a signed copy.


As I sat in the pew waiting for the Celebration of Life to start, I felt like I was intruding on a private moment. Up front, I saw his father bending over the casket, weeping. I imagined his thoughts.

Can I give you my breath? I can't breathe.  Please wake up. Don't leave me.   Don't shut the lid because if it closes, then that means he's gone and I can't see him...

The service began with Hallelujah chorus. The tears started flowing. It was so inspiring. But then, that's who TJ was. Inspirational. It was said of TJ that he "had a determined will. Always there making a contribution. He inspired many."
His parents and family and friends can be so proud of TJ. He was one incredible man. I'm so sorry for their loss.
This picture of TJ was on the inside cover of the program given at the funeral. I am positive he heard the words, "Well done good and faithful servant."

TJ's obituary:
http://www.keehrfuneralhome.com/obits/obituary.php?id=610969

He will be missed.









No comments:

Post a Comment