Thursday, March 30, 2017

Dreams

January 2014, I wrote some goals. Among them was one I never thought would come to fruition.

Get published by the time I am 50. 

Well, I'm not yet fifty, but this past week the dream became reality.

One of my writer friends told me about this opportunity to write about something  that accentuated a miracle. If chosen, it would be published with many other authors into a book compiled by James Stuart Bell.

At first, I didn't think much about it. But, an idea kept circling in my brain and wouldn't let go. I decided to write the story.  A tale that actually happened to me while in Italy. I wrote it in less than three hours and then spent some time editing it before pushing SEND on my computer.
That was at least ten months ago.

I forgot about it, which is one of the first lessons a writer will tell you. Once you write something, send it in, and then start working on the next project. I'm so glad I took that advice. I didn't wait around. I just continued to write.

Every once in awhile I would wonder if anything would come of it.
One day I was checking my emails, and low and behold, there it was. A contract for my piece! I can't even begin to explain that feeling. Overwhelmed, yes. Full of joy-ABSOLUTELY! Oh what a feeling.

I danced around like Lionel Ritchie in his video, Dancing on the Ceiling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovo6zwv6DX4

This past week I was sent my copy of the book.
How do you describe opening a book and seeing your name in print? There simply are no words. There it is. My dream in print!

Funny thing about dreams. Sometimes they come true! This story is a non-fiction short story compiled in a book with many other authors. My dream was to be published before I was 50. Pinch me. It really  happened.

I now have a new dream. One a bit more daring.

I want my own novel in print!  I'm not putting a time limit on this dream. It will take as long as it takes.

Walt Disney was once quoted, "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." Amen Walt. Amen.

This book releases April 4. It is now available for pre-order on Amazon.  






2 comments:

  1. Gail: You are now a published author. And a fine person. I look forward to your first novel.

    It's a blessing to have you as a friend and colleague.

    ReplyDelete