Monday, January 13, 2020

Magdalen College

I never wanted this walking tour to end. So glad we were self-guided. The views were breathtaking. 
Take this one for instance.
A first glimpse at the glorious Magdalen Tower. No wonder Oxford is called the "City of Dreaming Spires."
Obviously, one can tell it was extremely dry while we were on holiday in England. Not a lot of green grass.
See what I mean.
However, we did manage to find some color. Notice the roses climbing the wall in the upper left hand corner. Lovely, I say. Lovely.
Goosebumps. What can I say. I'm really here. The site where CS Lewis taught. Those lucky students.
I snapped photo after photo of the meticulously kept grounds.
The list is vast as to who walked through those college doors. Historians, philosophers, linguists, clergy, justice. Even King Edward VIII (the one who abdicated) attended. However, he didn't graduate.
My camera got a workout!
Was wowed as I walked to find the toilets! Flowers blooming everywhere.
Pretty sure flowers in the windows to show where CS Lewis lived didn't exist while he was there. But, it works for me!
A stunning view.
I've read it was here CS Lewis finally believed in God.

"You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet...I gave in and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all of England."

Always my favorite author.
I'm spending a year with him through the pages of A Year with CS Lewis. A devotional I have started in this new year. He was a genius writer. Oh to emulate him. I know. I know. I'm dreaming! 


No comments:

Post a Comment