Thursday, February 13, 2020

Louisa

Recognize this home?
I'll give you a hint.
It's famous.

Visitors come from all over the world to tour. 

Yep. It's the Orchard House.
Otherwise known as the home of Louisa May Alcott. Author of Little Women. 

I had the distinct privilege of touring the home last fall. It was amazing. Lovely.
You can't take photos inside. Bummer. Good thing I had my journal. 

Did you know Louisa loved owls? Owls. There is a sketch of an owl in her bedroom. Her sister May drew it for her.

Louisa wrote for up to fourteen hours a day. All with a quill pen. Oh the ache her hands must have endured.
The guide at the Orchard House told of how Louisa's right hand would get sore. She would shake it out, switch to her left hand, and continuing on with writing.

I saw Little Women in the theater over Christmas. The girls went to Little Women, and the guys, well they missed out.  They chose Star Wars instead.  Oy!

The director did a superb job with this rendition of Little Women.  It was excellent. I laughed and cried throughout the entire screening.

What profoundly hooked me were the times in the movie when Jo March was writing with one hand. She tired, stopped, and shook out her hand. Just like Louisa would have done. She then continued writing with the other hand.

I would have missed that bow to Louisa had I not gone to the Orchard House. 

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Hubby and I are going to see a movie. Guess which one? And no, it's not Star Wars. 



No comments:

Post a Comment