Thursday, December 26, 2013

Panic

A long day at work done, I was looking forward to picking up the pizza and begin celebrating this season of wonder with my family.  Having already figured out which ingredients I wanted, I ambled up to the register and placed my order. 

Casing my "suitcase" (my family much prefers the term to purse!)  quickly, I wasn't seeing it.   With a line starting to grow, I dug a little deeper.  Out came my notebook, coupon holder, hand lotion, lip balm,  but no wallet.  Spotting a $20 bill in a side pocket, I paid the fee for the pizza and made a beeline for my car. 
My day was about to get longer.
I rehearsed the entire day in my mind over and over on the long ride home.  I knew I had my wallet at the beginning of the day. 
Thinking maybe I had left it at home, I ran inside my home frantically hoping that was the case.  Bolting from room to room, no wallet could be found.   During this freaking out time,  I heard it. 

Beeps.  Annoying beeps coming from my answering machine.  The irritation got to me and so I pushed the button.  Playing back to me  was this haunting voice.  My fears had been confirmed. 
"We think there is fraudulent activity on your account.  Please call us back ASAP."  Sweat immediately dripped from my forehead and pooled in my armpits!  My head was spinning as the next message played nearly the same memo.
My wallet was stolen and someone was going to have a Merry Christmas at my expense. 

I am still astounded at the amount of money that was spent in such a short amount of time.  I can't even do that much damage in a whole day.   
I spent most of Friday night closing accounts and figuring out what was in my wallet. 
I have had to go to the DMV and apply for a new license, make police reports, and I have cried at the loss of a picture of my father that can't be replaced.  It was a favorite picture of him because it showed so well his personality.   My dad died 14 years ago.
I am praying by some miracle that my wallet will be found and I can get that irreplaceable picture back.  The police have been wonderful, but wisely have told me the odds of getting it back are not good.  It simply would be that...a miracle. 
I do believe in miracles and hope to maybe write sometime that indeed it was found. 
I have had a few sleepless nights as I have allowed fear to overwhelm me. 

We had a very Merry Christmas.  I wasn't going to let them take that too.  Slowly, I am putting a new wallet together.  My kids found the exact one that I had before online.  I cried when they gave it to me for my gift this year.  They were perusing the internet right away on Friday night.  
I have much to be thankful for.  I actually feel sorry for those who stole my wallet.  What a life of desperation they must lead to resort to stealing. 

Have any of you ever had your wallet stolen?  

No comments:

Post a Comment