Monday, December 30, 2013

"Saving Mr. Banks"


My family and I went to the movies.  The 3 of them went to The Hobbit,  and I went to Saving Mr. Banks.  I think I saw the better movie!
It was so good, I had to take my husband a 2nd time to see it. 
This time I brought my journal.  Yep...wrote in the dark!  Hard, but not impossible.  The first time I saw it, I cried and was just way into the characters.   I kept telling myself, "I'll remember that line."  Of course, as soon as I got home, I had forgotten all that was said.
My husband just knows that I need my journal.  There are just some things that one simply has to write down, and some of these lines in the movie are just epic. 

Mary Poppins is just so English.  Classic. 

Helen Goff.   The author.  She wrote under the pen name PL Travers. 
What an imagination she had.  I read she was 96 when she died.  She seemed to have quite a life.  Made Walt Disney work for the rights to her story!  I will say that she got into her characters.  Her characters became her family.  An author who writes well, does that.  Makes their characters actually come alive.    Seem real. 

In the movie, PL Travers was real.  I rooted for her and for  "Ginte", the driver, the mother.  They will stick with me for days.  Weeks maybe.  It was just a well done movie. 

There is theme, and story question, and lies that she believes.  Emotion and dark moment, disappointments and epiphany! 
This movie is a must see! 

Have you seen it?  What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. LOVED Saving Mr. Banks. Thought it was brilliantly done. I disliked Mrs. Travers immensely, but her backstory gave her the much-needed sympathy. I'd definitely go see it again.

    (I'll see The Hobbit again too!)

    Happy New Year, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Backstory really a big part of the movie. I am learning all of that with writing and how important it is in my story. Just knowing where to put the backstory is the tricky part for me! I am enjoying learning the craft. Stay warm!

      Delete
  2. I'll probably have to wait tip it comes out on DVD. Definitely want to see it!

    We took our kids to see Frozen over Christmas break. Even my strapping 19 year old son. We all LOVED it! You might want to put it on your to see list!

    Thank you so much for your encouragement on my blog. It meant so much. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! Still need to see Frozen. There are a lot of great movies. Just not enough time to see them all! That is what we are up here in the tundra...frozen! The weather here truly is frightful! So thankful for a home with lots of heat! Great days to just read and drink tea by the fireplace. My book is calling me now by the way! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete