Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Boys of Summer

Playgrounds were a great form of entertainment while growing up.     
At summer's start, the giant slide stoically stood.  We dared the risk of falling from the ladder that seemed to climb above the tree line.  Remember  the burn to the back of the legs while gliding to the bottom?
Swings kept us pumping back and forth until our feet touched the branches, and somehow we never threw up as the merry-go-round went round and round, faster and faster. 

I enjoyed taking my children to the playground.  We spent hours in the summer engrossed with these classic pieces of equipment.  It was big enough for them to roam, yet small enough that I could keep my eye on them. 

This summer, the playground got bigger.  Ginormously bigger.   This play area  involves mazes, sandboxes, and  a view high from the air. 
Meet my son Mark (that's him on the right) and his college buddy Nick.  Last year, Mark was a fly fishing guide in Alaska for the summer.  He had so much fun helping clients catch "the big one",  wake every morning to views of Mt. McKinley, and the adrenaline rush that comes from being chased by a bear...not kidding!......he just HAD to go again.  This time, Nick wanted in on the action too.  So, yesterday our families  had to say goodbye for the WHOLE summer.  The WHOLE summer...sigh.    Life is an adventure and these boys are going to live it....grizzly bears and all!!!
Ready or not Alaska playground, here come my boys. 
I've got the first care packages just about ready to mail! 
What about you?  Any playground plans this summer?

*******NOTE*******I am taking a little break from blogging.  I will be back on June 26.

2 comments:

  1. While I'm sure you're excited for him to go live this adventure, I imagine it's hard to see him go away all summer. It's a huge gift to him to have the freedom to chase this adventure and know there is a safe base waiting for him back at home. Much love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanya! Thanks for the kind words. What's that old saying about giving them roots and wings? Tough being a momma sometimes! But then again...I can't say no to his dreams. I have my own too...something about writing?! Glad I'm riding it with you. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete