Monday, June 2, 2014

Robert Robinson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Robert_Robinson.jpg

The above is a link to information on Robert Robinson.   Who is he?    I had not heard of him before yesterday either.  However, I would bet that many know his famous hymn.   Mumford and Sons, along with David Crowder Band must have thought well of the hymn.  Each band has recorded their own versions of it. 

He was born in England! 

Some general information :  Born in September of 1735 in Swaffham, Norfolk, England.  His father died when Robert was very young...I have read conflicting data on this...some say he was five, others eight.  Regardless, losing a father at that young age is tough.   At 14, he was sent to London.  During those turbulent teen years, he seemed to be a lost soul.  A wanderer.   At around age 20, he made peace with God.  It was around that time he penned the famous hymn:

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.

Some words from the hymn:

"Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Here's my heart O take and seal it." 

I heard a great sermon yesterday.  It was based around this hymn. 
I have pondered a few points since. 
Some of the notes I took..

Am I aware of my own weaknesses?
I have a weakness for ______________________?

And have you heard this acronym before?
           H...hungry
           A...angry
           L...lonely
           T....tired
These 4 dangerous stresses could aid us in saying or doing something we would never have imagined  otherwise.  We definitely do not make good choices when we are weak in these areas do we?

A hard right is always better than an easy wrong.
                                                                         -----anonymous.

And to think a hymn started all this thinking!
My favorite hymn of all is Amazing Grace. 
What's yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment