Monday, August 17, 2015

This book

CS Lewis is, by far, my very favorite author.  Admittedly, he is not an easy read.  His works are deep, and I would definitely not classify them as "light reading."  However, his works have  helped me during some of the darkest moments of  my life.

One such book is this one.  A Grief Observed.

I have read it many times.  The book is really a journal.  CS Lewis wrote it after his wife Joy died from cancer.  His words speak volumes of the tumultuous emotions that come with grief.

I found myself digging for the book this weekend.  I use it to process feelings of grief when I learn of someone's passing.   There are no words that will help in any way when someone we love dies.  Sometimes it is best to say nothing and let a book do the talking.

That is why I like to give this book.  Such wisdom lies between the pages.

"....Perhaps the bereaved ought to be isolated in special settlements like lepers."

"...whenever I meet a happily married pair I can feel them both thinking, "One or other of us must some day be as he is now..."

"...the act of living is different all through.  Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything..."

"...her voice is still vivid.  The remembered voice--that can turn me at any moment to a whimpering child...."


Grief is a part of life.  I think sometimes its there to remind us to live.  Really live.

I have no idea where I found this quote, but I wrote it in my bible so I would see it enough to keep it fresh in my mind...

"The wise remember the brevity of life.  Exercise may buy us a few more heartbeats.  Medicine may grant us a few more breaths.  But in the end, there is an end.  The best way to face life is to be honest about death."











 


No comments:

Post a Comment