Thursday, May 4, 2017

Adventures in Chicago

Rain, rain. Lots of rain.
Chicago in the spring can be iffy with weather, and last weekend was no exception.With rain boots and jackets in tow, off we went. Fog hid skyscrapers and tourists hogged the sidewalks with their umbrellas! But, we managed to see Chicago quite nicely.

One thing I really wanted to do was ride bicycles through the city. Why? I don't know! I just thought it would be fun! We got an early start on Saturday morning with no rain forecast until later in the day.
Meet Ernie and his sidekick, Veronica.
The two helped us meander our way through the city brilliantly. Our butts didn't get sore, and the two of them kept their chains on the whole time! They steered us in the right direction and gave us wonderful views.
Along our route, we met up with a few shady characters-like this dude. A wannabe gangster! He sounded scary, but mostly he was full of hot air!
Speaking of air...a hissing sound coming from a bike tire is never a good thing! Our guide's back tire failed him about 3/4 of the way through the tour. Not good. Not good at all!  But he was prepared. See that box on the ground? Yep...full of tires tubes and tools. Smart thinking! He was no dummy! Me? I wouldn't have a clue how to change a bike tire! I'd still be there!  In minutes, we were back in operation and off to our next destination.
  Ricobene's.  An eatery hot spot. We would have never found this place on our own. That's why you go on bike tours! You get to see and do things you never would otherwise. So, what's so great about this place?
This people, this! THE BEST Italian beef sandwich you will ever sink your teeth into. Grab a bunch of napkins though! Juiciest, messiest sandwich ever. I'm really not a 'eat with my fingers' type of gal. I think it's improper and gross! But, there were no forks or knives to be found.  You know what they say..."When in Rome"...in this case, Chicago. So, I did what everyone else did. Picked it up with my fingers and hoped for the best! Basically, I inhaled the thing! I'm not even ashamed to say I ate the whole thing...in record time! I was so hungry. I didn't realize just how much until my husband said, "Hungry?!" I just nodded and plopped the last bite into my mouth, fully satisfied!
I needed that sandwich because when we left, it started to rain. Hard! Like a drenching kind of rain! We tried to put orange garbage sacks over us, but they didn't help! We just made the best of it for the next 45 minutes and laughed and peddled as best we could! It's the stuff of memories!

I highly recommend this bike tour if you ever get to Chicago. Ask for Mark and DK.
www.bobbysbikehike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment