Monday, August 7, 2017

Not so fairytale

As the 20th anniversary of Princess Diana's death approaches, I'm gathering up as many books and magazines as are made available on  newsstands and in bookstores.
This week, a two part program on her life will have me glued to the TV both nights.

While reading, I had forgotten some things about her. Like, for instance, while Diana recited her vows on that fairy tale day, she mixed up Charles' name. She called him Phillip Charles Arthur George, instead of Charles Phillip Arthur George.
A small little hiccup that is referenced in all of these editions. How difficult it must have been for her. Every little thing she did wrong was detailed and exploited in newspapers all over the world.

As her brother was quoted, Diana was indeed, "the most hunted person of the modern age."

Charles Spencer was also quoted, "We are all chewed up with sadness at the loss of a woman who was not even our mother," he said. "How great your suffering is, we cannot even imagine."

Her boys are her greatest legacy. I'm especially drawn to the charity work the Duke and Duchess, and also Prince Harry, are bringing notice to mental health issues. Princess Diana clearly had troubles with bulimia.  We have no idea what it was like to be her. Always having to be perfect, pretending all was well, ALL THE TIME.

She had her flaws. Every one of us does. But she cared for the plight of the poor and those the world threw to the wayside. I will always be drawn to her.
I'm learning that I can do anything, but not everything. I will never change anybody. I believe that is impossible. I can only change myself. I can be an influence on those around me.

Mental illness is a part of my family heritage whether I like it or not. I'm in thought process about it all right now. Reading about charities and ways the Duke and Duchess and the Prince are getting involved, is giving me pause.  Again, I can't do everything, but when something makes my mind crowd with thoughts continuously, it's time to listen.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Listening for that still small voice.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment