Monday, September 1, 2014

Afternoon Tea at the Mad Hatter

Recently, I had a most splendid afternoon having tea with my niece and sister.
My niece Claire had never experienced the whole professional  tea thing, and so I decided it needed to happen!  She and her family recently moved back from living out west.  (I am thrilled about that.  Them...well...its cold here!)  Back to tea...
Where to go?  That was easy.   The Mad Hatter tea room.
We were welcomed at the front entrance only to walk up to this...
the Anoka mansion!  I used to drive past this estate each day on my way to high school.  I imagined what it was like on the inside.  Now I know!  There is a library in there!  I didn't care about anything else!  There is a beautiful, sprawling back yard leading down to the river.  What a view!  I could live here!
   My sister Becky  and I.
Meet Claire.  Here she sips her first taste of tea!  "I really like this."  Whew!!  I told her about black teas and green teas and oolongs.  She enjoyed turning over the timer to allow the tea to steep.  It was a hard decision, but we went for the Mad Hatter house blend to begin.  A black tea.  We could get a new pot of tea at any point during the meal.  We had 4 different kinds.  Spiced pear, creme brulee, the house blend, and a jasmine tea.  She used the tongs for the cubed sugar and asked me if I had cubed sugar at home.  Hmmmmm....
Yes!  The answer is yes!
 She was impressed with the way the tea keeps warm.  A little tea light candle votive right there underneath the pot of tea.  Isn't the rose a lovely touch?  Just one flower in a clear jar.  Perfect.  And yep...I have one of those tea warmers!
How fun to watch Claire's eyes as she gazed upon these yummy delicacies!
See what I mean!
What a feast!  We had lavender scones, cranberry chicken salad on zucchini muffins, lemon caper egg salad, lavender herb cucumber canape, petit fours, pink pavlova with lemon chantilly...the list goes on!  It was yummy.  Trust me!  We were full!
Tea.  It is a simple thing, but such a great habit.  It makes you slow down and take in life.  There are so many different kinds to choose from.  We made a wonderful memory that day.  I think I made a tea drinker out of my niece too!  If you are in the area, this is a great place to go.
www.madhattertearoom.com
So, where have you gone for tea ?



No comments:

Post a Comment