Monday, November 28, 2016

A Classic

Love and goodwill. Such great themes in a story.
Yesterday I had the thrill of attending A Christmas Carol at the Guthrie theater in Minneapolis.
I never tire of viewing the play during the holidays each year. Such a great way to start off the Christmas season.

Charles Dickens wrote the story. It was published  December 17, 1843. I wonder if he ever imagined folks would still be enchanted with his story all these years later?

I've often pondered how Dickens came up with the name Ebenezer Scrooge. Genius name. It just fits doesn't it? In the above book, P.J.Lynch illustrated the story and may have an answer. On the back inside cover he is quoted, "When I lived in Brighton, I used to walk daily past a gravestone belonging to a man called Ebenezer Robbins, who died on Christmas Day, 1842. In my mind, I felt sure that this man must have in some way inspired Dickens to create Ebenezer Scrooge in 1843..."

One never knows where inspiration will come from. I myself,  have ambled through a few cemeteries.
This particular cemetery in England handed me some pretty awesome brainstorm breakthroughs for a few scenes I am writing.


I quickly snapped a photo of the set before the lights dimmed and the play began. No photos or videotaping is allowed during the presentation. Rightfully so. Hard to see the set in this photo, but it mimicked the charm of English villages. "Snow" falling made it idyllic.

I can't decide who my favorite character is. Scrooge, Tiny Tim, Bob Cratchit, the ghost of Christmas past, the ghost of Christmas present, Topper, or Fezziwig. Who's yours?

So much work goes into learning the lines for such a classic as this. Kudos to all the actors and actresses. Go see this play if you ever get the chance. It won't disappoint.



No comments:

Post a Comment