Thursday, December 8, 2016

A Cherished Gift

Two years ago, my wallet got stolen. One week before Christmas. Bummer.

I was a wreck. Before I realized my purple Vera Bradley wallet was gone, someone had shopped 'til they dropped at my expense! Thousands (yes, thousands) of dollars were racked up on my credit cards. Of course, all my cash was gone too!
Sure, closing all our accounts was a major pain. Thankfully, I didn't have to pay a cent toward the stolen purchases. Whew!

I had to get a new driver's license and a new library card. (Can't be without one of those!) My insurance card was in it, along with my CPR registration!  All these things were time consuming to replace and a bit unnerving knowing whoever took my wallet had my home address. Yep. It all was a pain in the butt!

All that was troubling, but what bothered me most of all was this.  Whoever snagged my wallet, took my dad.

I kept a much loved photo of him tucked inside.  Whenever I needed a peek at him, I would just grab my wallet and pull out the worn photo. His black hair flapping in the California breeze, he smiled as he posed with his sister Marilyn, in front of the Queen Mary. The picture was taken long before the invention of digital cameras, so there was no way of replacing it.

I cried. My dad died seventeen years ago. I want that priceless photo back. I still hope to one day maybe get a phone call that someone found my wallet in a field somewhere. Wishful thinking, I know.

In the meantime, I needed a new wallet! My children were very thoughtful that year for Christmas.
What did I get? Hmmmmm, I think you can guess!
Not only did I get a new one, but the exact same wallet I had before. A purple Vera Bradley.   I still am not sure how they pulled it off. The purple petals were a discontinued line.
I was so surprised and it warmed my heart to know it mattered to me, so it mattered to them.
Do you have a cherished Christmas gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment