Monday, December 5, 2016

Never Gets Old

This weekend, I hosted eight lovely women here in my home for afternoon tea.  What a privilege to prepare food for each one.

The ritual of afternoon tea began many years ago when Anna, Duchess of Bedford, grew hungry in the late afternoon. She needed a snack!  Tea, along with perhaps a biscuit, have become a daily routine for empty stomachs ever since.

 As soon as guests entered my home, their senses kicked in to high gear.
Their eyes immediately were drawn to the scrumptious delicacies placed in the middle of the table.
I can't take credit for these. Hubby did the honors!

Candles flickered in my fireplace. The smell of pine wafted through the air. Christmas carols piped through my stereo.
We spread real Devon cream over warm scones, feasted on pear salad, and devoured chicken salad sandwiches.  How thankful we are for our taste buds.
Afternoon tea is the perfect time to bring out the china. I loved setting the table.
Any ideas on what this is?
Well, it's a cracker. No, not one you eat! A festive cracker. Many citizens in the UK decorate their Christmas tables with them. They really do "crack." They make a popping noise. Inside, surprises await.
Such fun twisting our arms, helping each other pop open the crackers!
Each one had a paper crown. We were queen for the day!  There were jokes, puzzlers, and note pads. We laughed until we cried!

I am still smiling.

Afternoon tea and friends. It never gets old.  





No comments:

Post a Comment