Monday, November 20, 2017

A long time

On this date, they were married in Westminster Abbey at 10:30 a.m.

70 years. 70

That's a mighty long time to spend with the same person. And for the Duke, she's not just any person. She's the Queen of England. I'm sure it hasn't been easy to step behind your wife and let her lead one of the strongest countries in the world. What a legacy this royal family has.

I found some interesting facts about their wedding day.

These two met at a wedding! I didn't know that.

Did you know the very first wedding in Westminster Abbey was held on 11 Nov 1100? King Henry I married Princess Matilda of Scotland. I love that name. Matilda.

Queen Elizabeth had 8 bridesmaids. My daughter had 7!

2000 guests were invited. Whew! Good thing we didn't have that many. I can't imagine the bill!

Here's an interesting fact. The Queen used clothing rations to help pay for her dress! Rationing measures were still in place following WWII. Many across the UK sent her their coupons to help. She couldn't use them. That would be illegal.

She wore two pearl necklaces. I love pearls. SIGH.

A sprig of myrtle was placed in her bouquet. A tradition that started with Queen Victoria when she was given myrtle from Prince Albert's grandmother. Wish I would have known that. I would have placed some in my daughter's wedding bouquet. Shoot!

Queen Elizabeth's bouquet was placed on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior. A royal tradition.

The cake was nine feet high! Yikes! That's a lot of cake! I still love our cake the best!

Happy Anniversary to the Royal couple.












No comments:

Post a Comment